On August 22, 1863, on the site of the former Chupalov Hospital, the building of the Civil Hospital was laid. The new hospital was built with funds donated by the current state adviser Efim Andreevich Kuznetsov. The civil hospital, later named Kuznetsovskaya, was built on November 24, 1871.
On April 1, 1948, the Irkutsk City Clinical Hospital was reorganized into the Irkutsk Regional Clinical Hospital. In 1953, a major reconstruction of the hospital and clinic began, which allowed to increase bed capacity.
In 1971, the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR awarded the Irkutsk Regional Clinical Hospital with the Order of the Badge of Honor "for the successes achieved in the medical care of the population". In the same year, the laying of a new building of the regional clinical hospital in the Yubileiny microdistrict was made.
In 1986, the hospital bed capacity was expanded to 1,200 beds, and the hospital was housed in a new building in the Yubileiny microdistrict. In the same year, a clinic was opened for 850 visits per day. In 1995, the perinatal center of the regional clinical hospital was opened.
Today, the Regional Clinical Hospital is the real flagship of the Irkutsk Healthcare, the school of medical personnel, and the center for research. The hospital has a branch of the Scientific Center for Reconstructive and Reconstructive Surgery of the East Siberian Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, and the departments of the Irkutsk State Medical University and the Irkutsk State Institute for Advanced Medical Studies work at the hospital.